Signage constitutes a small but highly-visible class of typographic design. Sometimes referred to as environmental graphics, this type of signage includes:
- trade show booths
- outdoor signage
- retail signage
- real estate signage
- window signage
- magnetic placards
Selecting appropriate typefaces – and using them appropriately – is critical to the effectiveness of any signage project, begin by asking these questions:
- What is the goal of the signage?
- What are the demographics of your target audience(s)?
- From what distances does the signage need to be seen and understood?
- How much time does the reader have to look at and read the sign? Signage will be read by people standing still, walking-by or driving-by, and this should determine the typeface choices and treatments you use. To design efficiently, you also need to know the materials required and fabrication processes involved.
Once you’ve done your research, follow these basic guidelines for effective use of typography in signage:
- Stick to a minimum of fonts – one for the main message, another for secondary information.
- Forego the impulse to use a display typeface with delicate features. Instead, try a text face – Its more assertive design details will read better from a distance or on a quick drive-by.
- Keep your message brief and to the point, especially for drive-by signage.
- Adjust letterspacing (using tracking) as necessary. As type gets larger, it can look too open.
- Avoid tricky typography and other special effects, such as too many outlines, shadows, glows.
- Use highly contrasting colours for optimum readability and instant recognition.
- Check that type is readable in all potential lighting conditions (daylight, nighttime, etc.).
- Consider using symbols and simple images to replace and/or reinforce the typographic message.
- Avoid placing type on busy background imagery.
Contact ProCloud Signage About Custom Designed Signage
ProCloud Signage designs, prints & installs the best custom designed signage for businesses in Brisbane.
Our team of designers & printers use the latest technology & the very best materials to create outstanding custom designed wallpaper for any business premises.